I decided to do a little research the other day to see what type of blogs are getting the most searches. I used the list from our post What type of Blog should I start and headed to Google Adwords. I added the word ‘blog’ to each blog niche and the results were interesting. Before I show you the results, what blog niche do you think is getting the most searches? Drum roll please….
And the winner of the most monthly searches is….
Let’s take a look at the rest of the numbers.
Average # of monthly Google Searches by type of blog
*as of July 21st 2014
I actually thought those numbers were kind of low, so I did another experiment and added an ‘s’ on to the end of blog and the got bigger numbers. Fashion blogs still wins for the most searches. Too bad I don’t have a fashionable bone in me, or I’d be tempted to hop on that wagon!
The top 5 types of blogs searched for on Google
- Fashion blogs with 40,500 monthly searches
- Food blogs with 14,800 monthly searches
- Beauty blogs with 8,100 monthly searches
- Travel blogs with 8,100 monthly searches
- Music blogs with 6,600 monthly searches
I have to admit, I was kind of surprised music blogs were so far up on the list. I guess it’s one niche I don’t really follow, but obviously a lot of other people do.
Other interesting insights related to Google searches for blogs
Obviously, my list wasn’t all-inclusive. There are a lot more different types of blogs out there. I looked through Google’s recommendations for related searches and found a few that I had missed:
- Decorating blogs 6,600 monthly searches. I was using the term “decor” and not “decorating”, but the difference is dramatic. Decor blogs only gets 720 searches a month.
- Makeup blogs 2,900 monthly searches. Beauty blogs gets a lot of searches, but even this narrower topic gets a good amount of searches
- Blogs about life 2,900 monthly searches. Lifestyle blogs are popular these days and people are searching for your blogs about life.
What does this mean for bloggers?
I find it interesting to see search statistics. But, you can also put these statistics to work for you. If you haven’t started a blog, hopefully this will give you some good ideas of what type of blogs you can start.
If you have started a blog, make sure that you have your blog niche’s term on your blog. Add it to your about page, your bio and your title tag. Maybe even consider adding an ‘s’ to the end. If you do put food blog and people search food blogs, they are still going to find your blog, but food blogs is a more direct result.
What do you think of these monthly search statistics? I know it’s hard to tell now that Google is blocking most search term keywords in Google Analytics, but have you seen any traffic from these type of searches? If so, how many?11